Absolutely Nothing or Full On? 

had to work on Saturday so our plan was to get up and run 18 miles at 6:00 am but that didn’t happen. The 5:15 alarm went off and I just said “enough!” Actually, I was a tad bit nicer. I asked Todd if he would mind terribly to go ahead into work and then we could run when he got back mid-morning. He said okay, but was not sure he would be able to finish up by mid-morning. I literally fell asleep while he was saying this, which is HUGE for me because it typically takes me at least a few minutes to fall asleep. Next thing I knew, I was waking up at 7:55! I rolled over and dialed Todd to get a status check. He told me things were not looking good and that I should just do the run without him. I agreed and hung up. Then…I just didn’t want to do it. Getting out of bed and running on my own just sounded like zero fun and I was dragging big time on our Friday run. I dialed Todd back and asked his thoughts on taking a full day off. He said that it would be a terrific idea since I had not had a day off in about 30 days. Todd is often my voice of reason, by the way. Apart from getting through some work email early in the morning, I did zero activity on Saturday.

Emily Blanket Dec 2015

I did not even leave the condo, in fact! I took my watch off and just didn’t even care that I probably only stood vertically for a total of about 30 minutes for the day. I laid on the couch and read and did crossword puzzles. I ate and slept some more and ate some more.  

On to Sunday and it was a much different story. I woke up at 6:30 and did some chores while I drank a cup of coffee and had a banana. Then, we set out for a 20 mile run in which I did a little mix-up running to keep things interesting. I started off with 30 minutes in which I did 8 minutes easy and then 2 minutes hard. Then, I did an hour of 5 minutes hard/5 minutes easy (2x), 4 minutes hard/4 minutes easy (2x), 3 minutes hard/3 minutes easy (2x), 2 minutes hard/2 minutes easy (2x), and 1 minute hard/1 minute easy (2x). Then, I did the whole set again (30 with 8 hard/2 easy and 1 hour with 5/5/5/5, 4/4/4/4, etc).


We then grabbed some food and headed to church. Next up, the grocery. Then, packing lunches for the week, doing laundry, and cleaning the whole condo. We did not relax until we set down for dinner at 6:30.  

Here is the thing I have noticed about myself, I seem to be either totally lazy or full on. Anyone else have this tendency? Some people mistakenly think that I do not relax but I actually excel at relaxing when I finally relent and allow myself a day off. The thing is that I am so dang hard on myself that I rarely allow myself to say “enough!” When I do, though, I am always reminded of how my body really thrives on a balanced blend of hard pushing and recovery. Net, I need to give myself more recovery days. Now, you all have to just hold me to it!

One Comment Add yours

  1. mobilebayrunner says:

    I am the EXACT same way! All or nothing. Super hard working or a total bum. Haha. My husband is also my voice of reason when it comes to running and days off, etc.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s